An absolute showstopper. One to impress.
The dish can be baked in an oven proof dish - bowl, tray, anything. Just has to be quite deep, so you can layer up the pasta and the cheese.
Cooking Time (Includes Preparation Time): 1 Hour
- 500g Rigatoni - £0.56
- 250g Ricotta - £1.20
- 100g Parmesan - £2.00
- 300g Smoked Bacon - £2.00
- 3 Aubergines - £2.10
- 2 Cloves of Garlic - £0.30
- 2 Tins of Chopped Tomatoes - £0.62
- Crushed Chillies - £0.85
- Total Cost - £9.63 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/356°F
- Cut your aubergine into long thin slices. Grill each slice on a griddle pan until charred and soft. If you don't have a griddle, use a frying pan. NO OIL. Set aubergine slices to one side.
- Pasta sauce time. Cut up your bacon into chunks. Add to a pan with no oil. Cook on a medium heat until nice and crispy, and then add two cloves of chopped garlic. Add a teaspoons of crushed chillies. Cook for 30 seconds, and then pour in 2 tins of chopped tomatoes. Mix everything in, and reduce sauce down.
- While the sauce is reducing, get your pasta on to boil. When the pasta is al dente (not completely cooked) drain it and add to the sauce. Mix it all together and remove from the heat.
- Take an oven proof dish (preferably metal). It has to be quite deep. Line it with your aubergines. First line the bottom, making sure all the sides overlap. Then place them around the edges until all sides are covered.
- Spoon in a layer of the pasta, so it come up about a third. Then spoon in your ricotta, smoothing it out. Grate over a layer of parmesan, and then add the rest of the pasta. Place the remaining aubergine slices over the top so it is covered. Grate over some parmesan, and then cover with tin foil. Bake in oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove dish from oven and take off the tin foil. Place back in oven for 4 minutes so the parmesan melts.
- Place a plate on top of the dish. Flip it, and then ease the tin off the pasta cake. Slice it up and tuck in!