Sack off the local van – this babby recipe is the business.
Place the doner under the grill for a couple of minutes at the end to make it nice and brown.
Cooking time (Includes preparation time): 50 Minutes
- Ground Cumin - £0.85
- Fennel Seeds - £0.70
- Cayenne Pepper - £0.85
- Dried Oregano - £0.50
- Garlic - £0.30
- 500g Lamb Mince - £3.36
- Parsley - £0.70
- 1 Lemon - £0.35
- Pot of Yogurt - £0.85
- 1 Cucumber - £0.45
- 1 Red Onion - £0.21
- 4 Pitta Breads - £0.40
- Preheat oven to 180°C/356°F
- Throw mince into a bowl. Add a teaspoon of cumin, a teaspoon of fennel seeds, 1/2 a teaspoon of cayenne and a teaspoon of dried oregano. Add 1 grated clove of garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Mush everything together.
- Form the mince into a fat sausage, similar to something like an aubergine, and then wrap it tight in tin foil. Place in oven for 30 minutes.
- Tzatziki time. Into a bowl add your yogurt, 1 grated cucumber (squeeze gratings to remove excess water), the juice of a lemon, salt and pepper. Mix together. Cover, and chill.
- Pickled onions. Finely slice your red onion. Place slices into a bowl. Squeeze over the juice of a lemon. Add a pinch of salt. Scrunch the salt and juice into the onions. Leave out until you serve. The acidity of the lemon will take the sharpness out the onion.
- After 30 minutes, remove the lamb from oven. Take off foil. Place it back in oven, under the grill, for 1-2 minutes on each side, so it gets brown and crispy. Watch that it doesn't burn.
- Remove doner from oven. Slice it thinly with a sharp knife.
- Assembly time. Take a warm pitta. Dollop in some tzatziki, then add some doner strips. Spoon in some pickled onion, dollop on a bit more tzatziki, and tuck in!